The mission and purposes of the AFT Seattle are:
- To represent faculty by upholding and negotiating the collective bargaining agreement.
- To take a proactive approach in improving working conditions through legislative action and state funding.
- To provide a mechanism for the informal mediation of conflicts between faculty.
- To promote solidarity among faculty.
- To promote a mutually supportive relationship with the labor community.
- To actively represent AFT Seattle in the Washington Federation of Teachers, the American Federation of Teachers, and the Washington State and King County Labor Councils.
- To support high standards of teaching and an excellent learning environment by securing good working conditions for faculty.
- To promote professionalism and collegiality among faculty.