Share This

APRIL 16 WALKOUT: ALL SEATTLE COLLEGES!

What:  Walk out organized by AFT Seattle Local 1789 in conjunction with affiliate unions and with support from District administration.

Who:  all Seattle Colleges stakeholders--faculty, staff, students, and supporters from across the state.

When:  Tuesday, April 16, 2019, from 8:30 am to 3:00 pm

                        Mass gathering 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m.

Where:  locations at North, South and Central campus

Why  Our State legislature needs to know that we are serious about the need for better funding.   We have reached a crisis point.  Our District-wide walkout will be coordinated with actions at other campuses around Washington, sending a strong statement to Olympia.

How:  Join the walkout from 8:30-3:00.  If you are teaching, bring your students.  Classified, exempt and admin staff are encouraged to join walkout activities.  District and campus administrators are in support of this action. Stay tuned for more programming details.

 

WHY WALKOUT?

 

On Tuesday April 16, faculty, staff and students at North, South and Central campuses of the Seattle Colleges are walking out of class and work.  The walkout is intended to illustrate the crisis faced by the community and technical colleges (CTC) because of the State Legislature’s failure to adequately fund programs, salaries and student support.  For over a decade, the State has covered only 65% of salary increases that they have approved, forcing the colleges to cover the other 35% with increases in student tuition or taking money from reserves, or often by cutting programs, staff, and services to students to reduce costs.  While the McCleary decision has forced the State to adequately fund K12 education, the tens of thousands of students and employees who participate in the state’s open enrollment colleges have continued to bear the brunt of offering college courses and job readiness programs without sufficient funding to maintain excellence and fair salaries for the employees who support our students. 

 

Faculty Employment Survey Results Highlights

·         84% of faculty surveyed work more than one job and/or are dependent on the income of others in order to live in the Puget Sound Region on our current salary.

·         20% work 3-5 jobs

·         60% of faculty with additional jobs either don’t teach or do both teaching and non-teaching at their extra jobs

·         Nearly 70% of the faculty who work more than one job DO NOT work their extra jobs at Seattle Colleges District (SCD).

·         75% considered leaving SCD because of insufficient pay or better career opportunities elsewhere.

 

Wages

·         Washington State community colleges are currently 12% behind peer states in terms of pay.

  • King County has 52% higher cost of living than the national average, but salaries for faculty in King County are as much as 61% behind other parts of the state in terms of cost of living.
  • The CTC system has lost $50 million in recent years due to unfunded mandates from the state legislature.

 

Lots of additional great points in this editorial:

https://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/editorials/community-colleges-need-budget-love-to-train-future-workforce/